Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Day two hundred forty-eight.

Adeline told me today that she wanted to have a New Year's resolution. We went over a few ideas and she decided that she was going to do the following in the upcoming year:
  • Learn to drink from a sippy cup.
  • Expand vocabulary.
  • Learn how to use legs and walk.
  • Start eating what Mom and Dad have for dinner
  • Write and direct a hit play.
Tonight we went to eat at the Shanghai Palace. I recommend the Pad Thai Noodles and the Panang Curry. By far the best Pad Thai I have ever tasted.

While ordering the waitress asked, "Anything for him?" and pointed at Adeline.

This has happened to us before. This picture is what Addie was wearing tonight. She was also wearing pink and green striped tights that you can't see in the photo.

The following is a checklist for anyone who may need a little help determining if a baby is a boy or a girl:
  1. Always check for a barrette or pigtails.
  2. Keep in mind that green, orange and yellow can all be worn by a boy or a girl. Pink is usually a big hint.
  3. Toys do not give it away, but a big pink butterfly is a great clue.
  4. Tights. I know BabyLegs are in right now and I understand that they are for all babies, but tights are only worn by girls (especially tights with pink stripes).
  5. Pacifier. Very few pacifiers are neutral colors. Most will give you a big clue as to whether the baby is a boy or a girl. Tonight Addie's was purple.
  6. The type of clothes can give it away. If the baby is wearing a skirt or a dress, it's a girl.

Please let me know if you can think of any other tips or clues short of pushing her around in this.

14 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm curious as to what this "pig pink butterfly" is. Is it a butterfly with a pig snout? Or maybe a pig with butterfly wings? Either way, the pink should have tipped off the waitress.

Ingelheim Five said...

I always thought having hair was a tip off. All the Kemsley babies were BALD but only the girls were ever mistaken for boys. On the days I didn't Karo syrup a bow on their heads or put one of those head squeezers on, I never knew what I'd hear. Once they start walking, it kind of goes away for some reason.

Col said...

We like to let Addie perform scientific experiments on her toys. We feel that it helps promote creativity. Last week she created a pig/butterfly. The week before it was a duck/alligator. Her knowledge of anatomy and the attention to detail is quite amazing.

We tried the Karo syrup thing once. Then we realized it only works for bald babies. Karo was all over the place.

Carlos said...

I think most of the Oriental restaurants are going with a gender-neutral compliment to make their patrons feel good about themselves. I went in to this same restaurant to complain and the waitress told me that all babies look alike to her. Who would have thunk that?

Courtney said...

I can't wait to see her hit play! Let us know when try-outs are and we will get Landon to them!

Col said...

She has just the part in mind... it's sort of an Oliver Twist story line.

Tiffany said...

whoa, wait a second Colman. You can't go switching the original text of a post. Then "others" comments might not make sense, and "others" might feel stupid. Discrimination!!

Col said...

Tiffany, I don't know what you are talking about... I never changed anything.

Judson said...

this may help:

http://www.wackybear.com/photos/02020142-2.jpg

Ingelheim Five said...

Is that a belly shirt for a baby or for a pregnant mom? The thought of either one is kind of scary!

Aubrey said...

If "other" was spelled wrong, I take full responsibility as I am the well-paid copy editor of this site.

Carlos said...

Give my regards to Broadway. Can you hook us up with some tickets whilst we are awaiting the hit play?

Jamie & Johnny said...

Watch what you wish for. Trey won't eat baby food anymore. He only wants what mom and dad are eating. I am now officially cooking for 3. Luckily he likes chicken and rice because that is pretty much all I know how to cook.

Scrap Happy said...

Man, that's a cute outfit. She must have an aunt with really good taste.